The Chair of Insurance and Regulation and the International Center for Insurance Regulation (ICIR) of Goethe University Frankfurt invites highly motivated individuals to apply for the position of Research Assistant (E13 TV-G-U, 75%, for 3 years) starting April 1st, 2016.
Appointment will be in accordance with the German laws "Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz" and the "Hessisches Hochschulgesetz".
The Chair of Insurance and Regulation and the ICIR are part of the Department of Finance, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany. The ICIR aims to encourage discussion between international researchers, regulators, and practitioners in the fields of insurance and insurance regulation.
RESEARCH ON INSURANCE REGULATION: We are seeking a talented PhD student with a strong background in economics, finance and mathematics to conduct research in the fields of insurance and insurance regulation. The aim is to explore the impact of regulation on the insurance industry. The implementation of the Solvency II regulation starting on January 1st, 2016, creates room for research projects to explore the developments of a European-wide regulatory regime, and how it affects the industry and consumers. Ideally, applicants already possess sound quantitative statistical skills, first experience in insurance and a strong interest in policy relevant topics.
REASONS TO APPLY:
- The position provides the opportunity to conduct research and to teach in the fields of insurance, insurance regulation and risk management, as well as work on a dissertation with the aim of achieving a doctoral degree.
- The position enables world-wide network building by engaging you in the organization of workshops and conferences, and offering you the chance to interact with visiting scholars at the International Center for Insurance Regulation, as well as to attend national and international scientific conferences.
- A very good degree (Master or equivalent), ideally in Finance, Economics, (Business) Mathematics, Statistics, or a related subject
- A strong interest in Insurance, Risk Management, and Regulation, as well as in Corporate Finance and in quantitative research methods
- Ambition to present research results at international conferences and to publish in high-quality journals
- Willingness to support the lectures of the Chair of Insurance
- Willingness to write research grant applications
- Excellent English (and preferably German) language skills, both written and spoken
- Good working knowledge of MATLAB, R, STATA, LaTex, MS Office
- Open-mindedness, flexibility, strong communication skills and team spirit
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: The application must be written in English. It should include a cover letter, a statement of purpose which provides evidence of independent thinking, novelty and originality, a state-of-the-art grasp of the targeted research field, and a Curriculum Vitae which includes documentation of academic degrees and professional/academic references.
The deadline for submission is January 30, 2016.
Applications, preferably in PDF format, should be sent by email to:
Prof. Dr. Helmut Grundl
Chair of Insurance and Regulation
Goethe University Frankfurt
House of Finance
60629 Frankfurt am Main