BI Norwegian Business School is one of Europe's largest educational institutions, with over 20.000 students. As Norway's foremost provider of business education BI builds on a unique tradition of combining academic rigour and professional relevance. Our programmes range from bachelor's to master's and PhD programmes. BI is also known for its many tailor made programmes for the continuous education market.
BI has some of Europe's leading academic environments within the fields of economics, finance, strategy, marketing and management. As an employee at BI Norwegian Business School, you will meet exciting challenges in an engaging and international environment, with over 800 colleagues who daily contribute to the development of the knowledge society.
DESCRIPTION: BI Norwegian Business School, The Department of Finance is currently inviting applications for new doctoral scholarships, start date August 2016. The PhD specialization in Finance focuses on developing doctoral students' theoretical knowledge and methodological skills required to become successful researchers in the area of finance. We encourage applications from students with solid quantitative skills and a strong background in disciplines such as finance, economics, statistics, and mathematics, who are interested in an academic career in research and teaching and possess strong communication and analytical skills. We welcome research interests and project proposals, theoretical or empirical, in areas such as asset pricing, corporate finance, corporate governance, portfolio management, banking, market microstructure, experimental finance, and behavioral finance. After successful completion of the programme, we expect our graduates to be employed at leading academic institutions, research departments of international or national regulatory organizations, or investment firms.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE; The Department of Finance consists of highly international faculty (currently from more than 15 nationalities) with PhDs from some of the world's best schools (Berkeley, Brown University, Carnegie-Mellon University, University of Chicago, UCLA, USC, among others). The department has a strong focus especially on asset pricing and corporate finance research. It hosts the Centre for Asset Pricing Research (CAPR): http://www.bi.edu/research/research-centres/the-centre-for-asset-pricing-research-capr which supports faculty research groups, workshops, and seminars, and the Centre for Corporate Governance Research (CCGR): http://www.bi.no/en/Research/Research-Centres/Centre-for-Corporate-Governance-Research which sponsors and provides data for research in corporate governance and corporate finance. The doctoral programme is an important element of the department's research agenda and of BI's vision of being one of the leading research business schools in Europe. The selected candidates will be working closely with faculty and will join a group of 7-10 PhD students in the department. Their place of work will be at BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must have completed a two-year (120 ECTS) master's degree with thesis work (preferably a Master of Science) by early autumn 2016 to be considered for a scholarship. An MBA degree does not fulfill the requirements for admission. A grade point average of B or higher is required. The four-year scholarship is set according to the Norwegian State Salary Scale and currently pays NOK 436 000 annually. The position is linked to The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens Pensjonskasse). The scholarship involves 25% TA/RA responsibilities. If applicants are otherwise equally qualified, female applicants will be given preference. Additional information about the PhD specialization in Finance may be found on BI's website http://www.bi.edu/research/doctoral-programme/finans
The application can only be submitted electronically by using the "Send Application" button on the right hand side in this announcement. No e-mail or hard copy applications will be accepted.
You are required to upload the following electronically with your application:
- Certificate of a Master of Science degree or equivalent, including transcript of grades
- Certificate of a Bachelor degree or equivalent, including transcript of grades - A Diploma Supplement or a similar document, describing in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree (http://ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm)
- Other relevant certificates and transcripts - CV
- A milestone plan outlining your planned course work and thesis work in accordance with the requirements of the department (https://at.bi.no/EN/programme-information/phd/course-plans/finance) Template to be found here: http://www.bi.no/DoctoralFiles/milestoneplan.doc: - A description of research interests (and potential research projects) - Letters of recommendations from relevant employers/tutors providing evidence of your skills as a researcher (a minimum of 2 letters) - Certificates from previously completed courses at the doctoral level if requesting approval of these for the PhD programme at BI Norwegian Business School (see last section of § 2-1 in our PhD Regulations) - A complete list of all publications and/or other documented relevant research activities - Test scores GMAT /GRE and TOEFL / IELTS (if these are not sent directly by the test center) - Signed verification document. Template to be found here: http://www.bi.edu/DoctoralFiles/Verification%20document%20to%20be%20filled%20out.doc
Please note that all documents listed above must be uploaded in the electronic application. Documents may not be submitted by e-mail or hard copy. Any documents forwarded after the application deadline will not be considered, with the exception of students who are completing their master's degree in 2016 who do not have a final certificate when applying. Please note that you will not be able to revise your application once it has been submitted. BI Norwegian Business School (Doctoral Administration) must receive the following from the test center, or in the case of previously taken tests scanned and uploaded along with the application.;
GRE/GMAT: All applicants except those who hold a master's degree from a Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish or Icelandic institution must take either the GMAT or the GRE.
We will need percentile scores and raw scores for the Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing sections of the GRE or GMAT to consider your application. Incomplete sections or partial scores are not sufficient to consider your application. A "good score" is generally considered to be 85% and higher. However, there is no minimum cutoff score for the GRE/GMAT in order for your file to be reviewed.
TOEFL / IELTS: Applicants must take either TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum standards for test scores acceptable for admission are:
- TOEFL - a total score of 575 points for the written test or 233 for the computer-based version or 90 points on the internet based test
- IELTS - a score of 6.5
Exemptions are made for applicants:
- whose native language is English
- who have two years or more of higher education where the language of instruction was English
- from a country which is a member of the EU/EEA and/or the Council of Europe/UNESCO-Cepes, who have English as the first foreign language taken over a period of at least 7 years in primary school, secondary school and upper secondary education
Under certain circumstances, applicants may request a waiver for the TOEFL or IELTS when applying for admission. To request a TOEFL/IELTS waiver, the applicant must submit a waiver form.
TOEFL / IETLS scores must be from within the last two years. The codes for BI Norwegian Business School are as follows:
- GMAT 0529
- TOEFL 0529
- GRE 7365
- For IELTS we accept copies as long as the TRF number is visible
Candidates may, at a later stage, be asked to forward further information and/or be called in for an interview. Kindly note that all documents (including GRE, GMAT, TOEFL and IELTS tests) need to have reached the Doctoral Administration by the deadline stated in this announcement in order to be considered.
Information about the doctoral programme and admission requirements can be obtained from the Doctoral Administration at BI Norwegian Business School. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 1st of February 2016
Expected Start Date: August 2016
Location: Oslo, Nydalen