The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University. The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance of the University of Luxembourg has an opening for 1 Doctoral Candidate (PhD students) in Finance (M/F) Ref: F2-060009 (to be mentioned in all correspondence) 14 months fixed-term contract, (renewable up to a total of 36 months maximum) Full-time position, 40h/week.
This is an exciting research project that will be implemented in close collaboration with DeAWM Investment S.A. (Deutsche Bank AG Group).
The working title of the thesis will be "Financial Risk Management beyond Value-at-Risk: A comprehensive risk framework unifying qualitative and quantitative concepts for all dynamically changing risk factors as well as tail risk events".
ABSTRACT OF THE THESIS: Standard risk management concepts and the pure reliance on quantitative models are not sufficient to manage financial risks, especially during periods of strong market turbulences. The recent financial crises and the fast changing global financial industry give rise to the need of a new unified risk management approach "Beyond Value-at-Risk". In the thesis the theoretical background for a comprehensive risk management framework, combining quantitative and qualitative concepts across various risk types, should be developed. The framework should be designed in a dynamic way allowing capturing changing regimes, trends and market developments. Benefits, weaknesses and a fitting solution of the proposed framework should be analyzed and demonstrated using data from a global universe of funds.
- The candidate's main task will consist of contributing to the research within the Luxembourg School of Finance and preparing a doctoral dissertation. The candidate will have unusual access to resources at DeAWM Investment S.A. (Deutsche Bank AG Group).
- Contribute to the teaching at the rate of one to three hours per week of small group teaching and tutorials.
- Master's degree in finance, economics, econometrics, mathematics/statistics, computer science or related fields. A research Master is considered an advantage.
- Fluency in English, good understanding of German will be considered an advantage, but is not required.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications should be submitted in English, and must include the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae with list of publications and copies thereof, if applicable.
- If possible, a transcript results of university studies.
- The name, current position, and relationship to the applicant, of one referee.
Please apply online before October 30th, 2015.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer.