The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Post-Doctoral Fellow (PDF) for a two (2) year, fixed term, renewable appointment for its Environment and Production Technology Division. Working with multidisciplinary research team of Outlook and Global Change Theme, the PDF will conduct research and analysis related to biophysically modeling and simulating food production systems at global scale. This position is based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington, D.C. but may involve significant international travel to collaborators' sites.
Postdoctoral Fellow/EPTD (Position # 12-165)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting research and analysis related to simulating crop growth and production at country, regional, and global scales using crop systems models.
- Coordinating research with other biophysical modeling and spatial analysis activities within IFPRI, and assisting in supervising or coordinating the work of research support staff.
- Developing and managing large spatial crop model input and output datasets using GIS and relational database management systems and making them accessible to other researchers within IFPRI.
- Maintaining a high level of research output for publication outlets both within IFPRI, and for peer-reviewed journals within the wider scientific community, on topics of close relevance to the work of the Division.
- Creating linkages to possible external crop modeling collaborators and research groups, when possible to further IFPRI's work.
- Communicating research and data to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policy makers, and local partners).
- PhD in Agronomy, Agricultural Engineering, or closely related field
- Sound understanding of agronomy, including soil science, crop physiology, and crop management practices
- Demonstrated research experience in mathematical and process-based modeling of cropping systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming using Java or C++
- Proficiency in managing large datasets using relational database management system
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to acquire new computational skills and adapt to novel research techniques
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and teamwork in a multicultural work environment and effective interactions with other researchers and collaborators
- Demonstrated capacity to produce good publications record in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations
- Willingness to travel extensively as required
- Proficiency with DSSAT, APSIM, EPIC, DNDC, CROPSYST and other popular complex crop systems modeling software
- Experience and comfort with the Linux operating system, especially shell scripting in bash
- Experience using the GRASS GIS environment for handling spatial data and manipulating raster datasets for modeling purposes
- Proficiency in database management using MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Proficiency in programming using Fortran
- Familiarity with international agricultural development-related research topics
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research Positions" to link you to Position # 12-165 - Postdoctoral Fellow, EPTD. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at http://www.ifpri.org