Universita Bocconi, Milan, PhD School
PhD in Legal Studies - Curriculum in International Law and Economics
Bocconi University invites applicants for the PhD in Legal Studies - Curriculum in International Law and Economics. This curriculum is a 3-year program organized through courses, specialized seminars and research working groups. In addition, the University encourages PhD candidates to participate in international conferences, courses and seminars organized by academic or regulatory institutions relevant to their research project.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Successful applicants will spend the first part of the program in-residence at Bocconi, following a set of tailored courses on legal and interdisciplinary research methodologies, as well as specialized seminars in selected topics of international economic law relevant to their research interests. After the residence period, PhD students are encouraged to spend a period of time as visiting researchers at universities, international institutions and research centers abroad, during which time they can focus on conducting and disseminating their dissertation research. The University provides support to PhD candidates to identify and obtain research residences abroad (recent invites to Bocconi PhDs have come from NYU Law School, the Max Planck Institutes in Munich, Heidelberg and Luxembourg, Duke University, Yale Law School, the National University of Singapore, the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies and others).
Bocconi PhDs in this curriculum have an excellent placement record in various international settings, including both international and Italian universities and research centers, international organizations, governmental and EU agencies and institutions, as well as multinational law firms and consulting firms.
ABOUT THE FACULTY: The faculty for the PhD program includes professors from the Department of Legal Studies, as well as other Bocconi University Departments, including Economics, Finance, and Policy Analysis & Public Management (for the interdisciplinary courses or to supervise interdisciplinary research). In addition, to increase the international exposure of PhD candidates, each year the PhD in Legal Studies invites as visiting professors prominent academics from renowned international universities (recent appointees have come from Yale, Michigan, Berkeley, King's College) and international organizations (such as the WTO, the EU, the World Bank and WIPO).
QUALIFICATIONS: Applications can be submitted by Italian and non-Italian citizens who:
- have completed or are completing their graduate studies and
- have at least a "proven" B2 (CEFR) level of competence in English
The PhD School offers exclusively for the PhD in Legal Studies:
- a maximum of 8 places with fellowship;
- a maximum of 2 places with merit-based tuition waiver covering up to 100% of tuition fees.
TUITION: Tuition fees for students without fellowship and without tuition waiver amount to Euro 10,000 for each year.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more detailed information, please see the full official call published on the website http://www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd
For more detailed information about our program, please visit the website: http://www.unibocconi.eu/phdlegalstudies
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply for our PhD program you have to use only our online application procedure. Applications are due by 16 January 2017. The assessment of the applicant is based on:
1. Personal curriculum: full CV
2. Academic records: transcript of exams and certification of undergraduate and graduate degrees awarded and final grade (if any); if the graduate program has not been completed, an enrollment document with the full study plan, the exams taken and the grades achieved
3. Statement of purpose: short description (max 1200 words) of your motivation for enrollment in a Bocconi PhD program and of your professional goals
4. Reference letters: up to two reference letters uploaded by referees appointed in the online application procedure
5. Abstract of your thesis: only if included in your graduate program (maximum length: one page)
6. Research proposal: detailed description of research proposal coherent with one of the curricular disciplinary fields (see full official call published on http://www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd)
7. Other relevant documents (maximum five): e.g. publications, other programs attended, etc.
A candidate will be eligible for admission if he or she has obtained at least 70 points in the qualifications assessment and at least 20 points out of 30 in the interview.
Please consult our website for complete details of our application procedure: http://www.unibocconi.eu/admissionphd
CONTACT INFORMATION: For more information about the program, please feel free to contact our Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted: 12 Oct 2017