Definite Term Lecturer, Audit

Job Description & Qualification

Definite Term Lecturer, Audit

The School of Accounting and Finance in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Waterloo invites applications for one position at the rank of Definite Term Lecturer in Audit for a two- year definite term contract, renewable in accordance with university policy.

The successful candidate will focus on audit (and assurance) instruction in the School’s undergraduate and masters programs. Preference will be given to candidates who can teach external, internal and IT (and/or data analytics) assurance topics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The teaching load is normally 60% of one’s tasks (six courses a year), with service activities in support of the School, the Faculty, the University, and/or the profession amounting to the other 40%.

To be considered for this position, candidates must have a university degree in a business-related field, preferably with a focus on audit (and assurance). The successful candidate will also have demonstrated strong potential for teaching and academic leadership in a post-secondary setting in Canada. Candidates who can demonstrate thought leadership and are interested in engaging in executive education or pedagogical innovation will be considered positively. While not required, professional experience and related designation(s) in accounting would also be an asset.

UW’s School of Accounting and Finance is widely recognized for its research and academic programs. We value academic diversity and offer a collegial and stimulating environment that promotes collaboration, intellectual curiosity, and growth. The School offers eight different programs, including five bachelor degrees, two master degrees, and one Ph.D. degree. The School’s highly-respected Ph.D. Program has graduated over fifty doctoral students since the program’s inception in the 1990s. Our award- winning faculty complement includes active researchers using empirical, experimental, and analytical techniques to study a broad spectrum of accounting and finance issues. The School’s collaborative environment encourages faculty members to help each other reach their maximum potential. For details about our faculty and programs please visit: The University of Waterloo consistently ranks as a leading comprehensive university in Canada and an innovator in education and research. The campus is located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, a one-hour drive from Toronto, a multicultural metropolis and Canada’s financial capital.

The expected start date for the position is July 1, 2024. Starting compensation in the range of $110,000.00 to $140,000.00 is anticipated, based on qualifications and experience. Negotiations beyond this range may be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates.

Interested candidates are required to complete an online application at our Online Faculty Application System ( Applications received prior to January 15th, 2024 will be given full consideration. However, applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is centralized within our Indigenous Initiatives Office (

The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identity as Indigenous peoples (e.g., First Nations, Metis, Inuit/Inuk), Black, racialized, people with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.

The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Sarah Landry at the School of Accounting and Finance at

If you have any questions regarding the position, the application process, assessment process, or eligibility, please contact Sarah Landry, at the School of Accounting and Finance at

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

Three reasons to apply:

For Additional Questions

Job ID

ID: J14539