Erasmus University, Rotterdam School of Management
PhD Program Position in Finance
The Department of Finance at the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) invites applications for its fully funded PhD in Finance Program with a starting date of September 2018.
JOB DESCRIPTION/QUALIFICATIONS: To be considered for a position in the PhD in Finance Program, candidates should fulfill the following conditions:
- An MSc, MA, or MPhil degree in business, econometrics, or economics.
- Excellent results in their first degree/graduate study.
- Explicit interest in and motivation for scientific research.
- A GMAT-test or GRE-test is required for all entering students. The test results should not be older than five years and an indication of the required score is 85%.
- Applicants have to provide a TOEFL (at least 100 on the internet based test and 600 on the paper basted test) or IELTS test (minimum score of 7.5) to prove their proficiency in English.
- In addition to these formal requirements, candidates for the program are selected on basis of their CVs, academic references, research motivation, and interview(s) with the potential supervisor(s).
The Department of Finance has openings in the following three fields:
- Asset Pricing (https://www.erim.eur.nl/doctoral-programme/phd-in-management/phd-projects/detail/1447-financial-markets-and-investment-strategies)
- Banking and Financial Intermediation (https://www.erim.eur.nl/doctoral-programme/phd-in-management/phd-projects/detail/1448-banking-and-financial-intermediation)
- Corporate Finance (https://www.erim.eur.nl/doctoral-programme/phd-in-management/phd-projects/detail/1449-research-in-corporate-finance)
The PhD Program is organized by the Erasmus Research Institute in Management (ERIM). The regular program lasts four years and includes one year of course work. Candidates who have completed their course work at another university may be eligible for exemption of course work. Candidates are expected to finish their dissertation within four years. Throughout the PhD trajectory, candidates are also to a limited degree involved in teaching and bachelor/master thesis supervision. See https://www.erim.eur.nl/doctoral-programme/phd-in-management/admissions/frequently-asked-questions for frequently asked questions about the PhD Program.
- Excellent research facilities and support programs.
- Personal supervision by distinguished professors.
- Fully funded.
- Extensive training for a successful academic career.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL: The Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University is consistently ranked among Europe's top 10 business schools (by, among others, The Financial Times and SSRN). With 250 researchers and 100 Ph.D. students, the School has one of the world's largest and most cited business school faculties.
The Department of Finance at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM Finance) has a large young and international faculty educated at renowned institutions in Europe, the U.S., and Asia. The group has a strong research tradition, as evidenced by publications in top journals, a U.S. style Ph.D. program, and research visits to leading U.S. schools.
For more information, please see the websites of:
- RSM Finance: http://www.rsm.nl/finance
- Rotterdam School of Management: http://www.rsm.nl
FURTHER INFORMATION: The Finance Department at RSM has access to excellent facilities, including many major databases (WRDS, CRSP, Compustat, Datastream, Bloomberg, I/B/E/S, Thomson One Banker, TAQ, CRSP Mutual Funds, etc.) and a modern building with great views of the city of Rotterdam. Rotterdam is a pleasant and lively harbor city with 600,000 inhabitants located in the west of the Netherlands that provides attractive living conditions for international faculty. The use of English in daily life poses no problem and air, road, and railway connections with major European and U.S. cities are excellent. The standards of healthcare and education in the Netherlands are high, while the costs are low relative to Anglo-Saxon countries.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applicants who are interested in a PhD position within the Department of Finance can apply via the ERIM website (http://www.erim.eur.nl/doctoral-programme/phd-in-management/admissions).The application deadline is 15th January, 2018. Contact:
Rotterdam School of Management
Department of Finance
Attn. Ms. Myra Lissenberg
Posted: 4 Dec 2017