Universite catholique de Louvain, Louvain School of Management
Faculty Position in Finance/Corporate Finance
Vacancy Reference : 16921 / LSM 021 / 2018 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
The Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL) invites applications for one tenure track or tenured full-time position in Finance/Corporate Finance (Louvain la Neuve Campus).
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: You have:
- by Spring 2018 a PhD degree in finance, management, economics or any related fields;
- a significant scientific record with international publications, or potential to achieve them;
- experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level;
- capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funding, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge/Fluency in French is not required, but the applicant commits to learn French within approximately 2 years. Fluency in other languages is an asset.
JOB DESCRIPTION: You will:
- be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence; - be available to ensure, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
- competitive salary, according to European standards
- outstanding, dynamic, international, and multidisciplinary research environment, ideal to growth
- possibility to concentrate your teaching during 6 weeks (in one year)
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: UCL is a world-class university offering the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations between its various research groups. Since its creation in 1425, UCL has both reached out to the world and invited it in. Through student exchanges, hosting international professors and researchers, interuniversity partnerships, participation in European and global networks, and a long tradition of cooperation in international development, UCL has exerted influence throughout the world for nearly 600 years. Today, UCL has 7 campuses in the French-speaking Community of Belgium. Its main campus is located in the city of Louvain-la-Neuve. The town offers a unique modern living environment inside a naturally preserved neighbourhood, conveniently connected at the heart of Europe.
RESEARCH ENVIRONMENT: The selected candidate will be part of the institute for multidisciplinary research in quantitative modelling and analysis (IMMAQ). The IMMAQ was founded in 2009 as a research institute which combines fundamental and applied research in the fields of economics, statistics, finance, econometrics and operational research. It is composed by more than 200 researchers and consultants, of about 15 different nationalities. The common denominator of the IMMAQ is the use of a coherent set of tools and methods for quantitative modelling and analysis. The IMMAQ is made of five different entities: the CORE (Center for Operations Research and Econometrics), the IRES (Institute of Economic and Social Research), the ISBA (Institute of Statistics, Biostatistics and Actuarial Sciences), LFIN (Louvain Finance) and the CMCS (Statistical Methodology and Computing Service). These entities have strong international spirit and some of them have proven history of academic excellence. For example, the CORE has celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016 and IRES will celebrate his 90th anniversary in 2018. Each of these entities are geographically very close, favouring the interaction among research members.
The successful candidate will be affiliated to Louvain Finance, the finance team of the IMMAQ. This is the youngest team of the IMMAQ, that has decided to extend its research excellences to the finance research. Louvain Finance is one of the biggest and most dynamic Belgian financial centres. It closely cooperates with many Belgian and European research entities such as the National Bank of Belgium and the European Central Bank. Thanks to these collaborations Louvain Finance has a prestigious seminar series, Ph.D. courses, and conferences, and organizes the European edition of the So.Fi.E. training school. This allows the team members to exchange research ideas and cooperates with world class researchers in finance. In the last years Louvain Finance has welcomed John Campbell, Viral Acharya, Frank Diebold, David Lando, John Cochrane, Kenneth Singleton, Marco Pagano, Allan Timmermann, Erik Ghysels, Lars Peter Hansen, Murillo Campello and Geert Bekaert among others. In the academic year 2017-2018, scholars such as Andrew Lo and Darrel Duffie will intervene in events co-organized by Louvain Finance. The candidate will be encouraged and helped to (i) cooperate with other Belgian or international entities, (i) to apply for funding in order to develop his own team and (ii) to develop a high level international network.
TEACHING ENVIRONMENT: The selected candidates will teach in the Finance Department of the Louvain School of Management (LSM). Located close to the capital of Europe, LSM offers world-class courses and highly specialized options based on advanced research. The LSM is part of one of the oldest universities in Europe, the UCL, providing opportunities for interdisciplinary and multicultural experiences. The LSM is ranked 1st Business School in Belgium, Master in Business Engineering (Financial Times 2011, 2013.) The school's constant improvements to achieve even higher quality are acknowledged internationally. LSM has an extended international network and is the only Belgian partner of the CEMS and PIM networks. By tradition and by choice LSM's mission is to put human values at the heart of decisions.
The successful candidate is expected to teach courses at the advanced master level such as corporate finance, advanced corporate finance and/or international financial management. The teaching will mainly be performed in the campus of Louvain La Neuve. Professors in the tenure track position will have limited teaching charges which can be concentrated in 6 weeks during one year, leaving substantial time for research.
APPLICATIONS/FURTHER INFORMATION: More info about the positions can be obtained from the director of Louvain Finance and of the Finance department of the LSM, Prof. Leonardo Iania (Leonardo.email@example.com).
Link to the application: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=UCLouvain&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fGB&site=VjItSmJSOVQrSWdMM0ZGS0o1NlhCVFAzUT09&career_job_req_id=16921&selected_lang=en_GB&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=zsY5v4josFvclwT5lQ2tBQiCTyw%3d
Info about the application process: https://uclouvain.be/en/discover/procedure-de-selection-0-1.html
Info about living standards in Belgium can be found in the latest OECD better life index: http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/belgium
Posted: 15 Oct 2017