Community Banking in the 21st Century - Fifth Annual Community Banking Research and Policy Conference
Call For Papers
October 4 - 5, 2017, St. Louis, MO
Submission Deadline: Friday, June 16, 2017
The Federal Reserve System and the Conference of State Bank Supervisors invite the submission of papers for their fifth annual community bank research and policy conference, which will be held October 4 - 5, 2017, at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
The purpose of the conference is to bring together academics, community bankers, regulators and policymakers to focus on the latest academic research on community banking and the important policy issues that affect community banks.
TOPICS: We invite the submission of papers that explore all aspects of community banking, including, but not limited to:
THE ROLE OF COMMUNITY BANKS IN THE U.S. FINANCIAL SYSTEM
- provision of financial services to households, small businesses and small farms
- impact of community banks on local/state economic activity
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF THE COMMUNITY BANK BUSINESS MODEL
- benefits of local knowledge and strong relationships
- costs of operating at a small scale
THE EFFECTS OF GOVERNMENT POLICY ON COMMUNITY BANKS
- quantifying regulatory and compliance costs
- intended and unintended effects of regulatory requirements
SIGNIFICANT CHALLENGES FACED BY COMMUNITY BANKS
- competition from large banks and nonbank lenders
- risks such as cybersecurity, liquidity, asset values
- growth and earnings prospects
- succession planning and attracting employees with needed expertise
NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR COMMUNITY BANKS
- building on strengths
- developing new partnerships
We welcome theoretical, empirical and policy-oriented papers.
PAPER SUBMISSION PROCEDURE: The deadline to submit a detailed abstract or completed paper is June 16, 2017. Please send your submissions by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a confirmation email within two business days of your submission. Please contact Jim Fuchs at 314.444.8837, with questions.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Authors of accepted papers will be notified by August 1, 2017. Additional information is available at the conference web site: http://www.communitybanking.org
Posted: 26 Jan 2017