Incepted in 2008, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics (SKBI) aspires "to become a Centre for Excellence for applied financial research which is driven by industry and societal needs in Singapore and the region". The Institute focuses its efforts on applied financial research that addresses prevailing socio-economic issues, which have impact on the well-being of Singapore and the region at large. Over the years, SKBI has evolved to be an Institute with international acclaim having widely published in top tier journals and established research and training partnerships with local and overseas institutions.
SKBI seeks a candidate for the position of Director to co-manage the Institute in fulfilling its vision and mission. In that role, he/she will support the Academic Director as well as liaise with SMU management and faculty, SKBI's Chairman and Advisory Board members and donors.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate is expected to have at least 10 years of relevant work experience in an academic, business or policy environment, with evidence of successful management leadership at a research center or institute.
It will be advantageous if the candidate possesses an appreciation of fundamental (academic) and applied research as well as a good understanding of Asian economic and socio-political landscape so as to be able to navigate between academia, industry and government related organisations. The candidate should preferably have a track record of applied research, policy, corporate engagement in finance.
He/She should have exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to motivate and interact effectively with academic leaders, faculty in different schools in SMU and beyond, business leaders and community, policy regulators and staff at various levels. The individual must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal. He or she must be an articulate and persuasive presenter to large and small groups, possess sound judgment and a collegial work style that promotes teamwork and open communication.
Leadership and Project Management
- Support the Academic Director to establish SKBI as a Centre for Excellence for applied financial research and thought leadership in Asia and continue to raise the international visibility and profile of the Institute;
- Assist the Academic Director to design and implement strategic plans for SKBI; - Work closely with the Academic Director and senior leadership in the University, other Schools,
Institutes and Offices to develop and achieve initiatives that require multi-disciplinary research;
- Assist the Academic Director to plan and execute the Institute's annual workplan with input from the Dean, Chairman of SKBI, and Advisory Board;
- Monitor deliverables and key performance indicators to ensure workplan objectives and targets are met; and
- Efficiently manage the day-to-day operations the Institute; manage and administer approved projects according to the University guidelines and policy, budgets, project deliverables and timelines.
Development, Stewardship and External Relations
- Represent SKBI locally and globally, manage and promote the Institute's international and other external relations with all relevant internal and external stakeholders including media, other educational and business organisations, local government officials and eminent visitors;
- Articulate the developmental needs of the Institute and play a major role in devising and implementing the Institute's fundraising strategy in collaboration with the Academic Director;
- Tap into current industry interests and explore opportunities for developing executive education and customised training as well as for collaboration, fundraising and networking purposes; and
- Interact with government agencies to jointly build capabilities/knowledge in financial economics for improving policy making.
- Implement operational processes and ensure smooth operation of the Institute;
- Plan and manage the human resources of the Institute within the context of university-wide policies and procedures;
- Maintain congruous relationships with partners, collaborators and donors;
- Plan, allocate and manage the financial resources of the Institute among the various activities; - Develop sustainable avenues for funding to support the objectives of SKBI; and
- Develop good corporate governance standard and ensure its compliance.
ABOUT LEE KONG CHIAN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS: Founded in January 2000, SMU is the first private university established in Singapore with the Singapore government's funding. The Lee Kong Chian School of Business at SMU has grown rapidly and has become a leading business school in the Asia-Pacific region. Despite its young age, it has earned the AACSB and EQUIS accreditations.
For information about the Finance group at SMU Lee Kong Chian School of Business, visit http://business.smu.edu.sg/business/disciplines/welcome
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: Applicants should send a full application package comprising a cover letter, current CV, three letters of recommendations, and three recent publications or working papers (if possible) to email@example.com
Please indicate "Director (Engagement and Development), SKBI" in the subject line of your email and attention it to Dr. Melvyn Teo, Professor of Finance. Closing date of application is 10 December 2015.