University of Nevada, Las Vegas
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Dean, Lee Business School.
Dean, Lee Business School
The Lee Business School (LBS) delivers high quality business education programs at the undergraduate, master's, and executive levels. The LBS offers a BSBA with majors in accounting, economics, finance, real estate, international business, management, marketing, and management information systems and a B.A. degree in economics. Graduate students can pursue a master's degree in accounting, economics, or management information systems, as well as a generalist MBA in part-time or executive formats. LBS currently prepares more than 3,500 undergraduates and 400 graduate students to compete in today's global business environment.
ABOUT LBS: Through local, regional, and national partnerships, LBS seeks to leverage the unique characteristics of Las Vegas - which includes a vibrant business community including both gaming and non-gaming industries - to find solutions to business challenges that improve management practice and enhance the social welfare and economic development of our community. The LBS has 70 faculty members and 30 staff members and is organized into five departments (Accounting; Economics; Finance; Marketing and International Business; and Management, Entrepreneurship and Technology) and three highly visible centers (Lied Institute for Real Estate Studies; Center for Business and Economic Research; and the Entrepreneurship Center).
THE OPPORTUNITY: LBS has been energized by a recent naming gift from the Lee family and seeks an individual to provide leadership to work with the current faculty to help LBS reach its full potential. Along with other improvements, the naming gift will add 10 faculty professorships over the next few years and engage LBS in innovative community outreach activities. The gift's endowment will also provide funding for guest professors and the Speakers' Series, which enables LBS to build greater connectivity with the business community. The next Dean will play a significant role in shaping these new efforts. For more information on the Lee School of Business, please see: http://business.unlv.edu
- LBS has developed joint degree programs with the William S. Boyd School of Law, the Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering, the William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration, and the UNLV Dental School. In addition, LBS could build future relationships with the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs, the School of Community Health Sciences, and the School of Architecture.
- Las Vegas is often named as one of the most entrepreneur-friendly cities in the country. According to CNN Money, "Las Vegas is becoming a popular landing spot for tech firms large and small. Popular online shoe seller Zappos moved its headquarters and data center operator Switch Communications launched here. Following in their footsteps are startups ranging from technology service providers to logistics companies that cater to retail, aerospace and defense companies. Low taxes have helped make Nevada a haven for small businesses. The state has no business income, estate or franchise tax. Income taxes are low. Also, Nevada has more corporations - about 325,000 in a state with just 2.5 million people - than any other state except Delaware." For more information about the Las Vegas business community, please see http://cber.unlv.edu/SNBDI.html
Las Vegas and UNLV are quickly becoming leaders in the fields of solar energy and sustainability. As the only AACSB accredited Business School in southern Nevada, LBS is in a unique position to facilitate and enhance business opportunities stemming from these innovative initiatives.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: UNLV is a thriving urban research institution of more than 28,000 students and 3,100 faculty and staff dedicated to teaching, research, and service. It has become an indispensable resource in one of the country's fastest-growing and most enterprising cities. The university is internationally recognized with professional degrees in business, law, engineering, architecture, dental medicine and hotel administration and leading programs in fine arts, sciences and education. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in dynamic Southern Nevada. For more information, visit UNLV on-line at: http://www.unlv.edu
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of LBS and reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost. The Dean is responsible for managing academic, fiscal, physical, and human resources and has major external responsibilities in community outreach and fundraising. The Dean must be committed to:
- applying shared governance principles to work with the faculty to achieve LBS's mission and goals;
- building community relationships and fundraising to help LBS achieve its potential;
- expanding LBS's partnerships with local, regional, and national industry, private organizations, and governments;
- managing the equitable treatment of departments and centers within LBS and deploying LBS resources consistent with the missions and strategic plans of both LBS and UNLV;
- building a diverse faculty, staff, and student body in terms of gender, race, age, and thought leadership;
- promoting excellence in LBS's undergraduate and graduate education programs;
- supporting and expanding faculty scholarship and research activities; and
- further development of current and emerging LBS strengths.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: A candidate should either possess an earned doctorate in a business discipline and have a record of academic and professional achievement meriting appointment at the rank of tenured full professor or have extensive business experience, with a record of outstanding achievement in high-level leadership. Experience in university administration at or above the rank of department chair is strongly preferred of those candidates with an academic background. LBS seeks a colleague who can provide leadership to enhance the profile and mission of LBS. Candidates must exhibit a record of commitment to community-building and fundraising, academic excellence, and diversity of backgrounds and thoughts. A commitment to shared governance in an open environment, along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, are essential qualities for the next Dean of LBS. UNLV is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, and candidates are encouraged to apply without regard to race, gender, orientation, religion, national origin, or disability.
SALARY RANGE: Salary competitive with those at similarly situated institutions. Position is contingent upon funding.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references who may be contacted. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates' materials will begin on November 15, 2012, and best consideration will be gained for materials submitted prior to that date. Materials should be addressed to Dean Nancy Rapoport, Search Committee Chair for Dean of the Lee Business School, and are to be submitted via on-line application at https://hrsearch.unlv.edu. For assistance with UNLV's on-line applicant portal, contact UNLV Employment Services at (702) 895-2894 or email@example.com
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Educator and Employer Committed to Achieving Excellence Through Diversity.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9m2vnc9