International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute is recruiting a Senior Research Fellow in its Environment and Production Technology Division to lead an interdisciplinary research group focused on developing the evidence base for improved agricultural investment choices, with a primary focus on Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), but also including South Asia and global assessments; and utilizing the data in research on agricultural technologies and constraints to agricultural productivity growth. This is three-year, fixed term, renewable appointment based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington, D.C. but will involve significant travel to Africa and elsewhere.
Senior Research Fellow/EPTD - Position #12-177
JOB DESCRIPTION: The evidence base and research program is developed using multiple methods, including a range of spatial, statistical and household survey information and analytical tools to assess the distribution and performance of farming systems, the extent and severity of productivity constraints, and the potential productivity, economic and environmental consequences of the adoption of improved technologies and practices. A wide variety of data products is emerging from this strand of analyses and made available through public, web-based platforms.
The successful candidate will spend his or her time among three key tasks: manage this large, complex data and research portfolio, liaise with stakeholders on the ground as well as with donors, policymakers and investors, and publish findings in peer-reviewed journal articles. The successful candidate will also be responsible for continued evolution and future funding of these research efforts within the broader context of the CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions and Markets (CRP2) and the IFPRI Strategy.
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economic Geography or closely related discipline with 10-15 years of development-focused research experience
- Strong and relevant publication record
- Demonstrated understanding of agricultural development issues, processes, and institutions
- Demonstrated ability to manage large projects or programs
- Commitment to open access and active dissemination of data, methods, tools and analytical approaches
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a team-oriented perspective
- Evidence of innovation/creativity in developing a stakeholder-centered agenda
- Strong interest in smallholder technology evaluation at a strategic-scale using multiple methods and tools
- Knowledge of the application and potential of GIS/spatial analysis and biophysical/bioeconomic modeling to contribute to smallholder productivity evaluation
- French as a second working language
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position #12-177 - Senior Research Fellow, EPTD. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at http://www.ifpri.org