The Clearing House (TCH) Association
The Clearing House (TCH) Association invites applications for a Vice President and Economist, reporting to the Senior Vice President and Chief Economist in our New York, NY or Washington, DC locations.
Vice President and Economist
POSITION SUMMARY: The Clearing House (TCH) Association, the preeminent trade association representing the 20 largest commercial banks in the United States, seeks a dynamic high-energy economist and financial markets subject matter expert to provide principal staff support to the Chief Economist and management at TCH and owner banks.
The Economist will support TCH's quantitative and data driven research efforts in support of TCH advocacy initiatives and will participate directly in the organization's public policy advocacy.
The Economist will be part of a senior team of subject matter experts at TCH and will have significant exposure to senior officials at regulatory agencies, as well as academics at leading academic institutions.
The Economist should be capable of conducting and managing original research quantifying the impact of changes in regulatory policy on financial markets and the broader economy. Such issues may include:
- importance of banks to the economy and the potential impacts of limiting the types of activities they are able to engage in;
- The optimal size, scope, and complexity of bank holding companies;
- The market impact of increasing liquidity and capital requirements;
- The ex ante and ex post incentives of resolution and recovery planning of large complex banks;
- The regulation of the prices for banking and payment services;
- The importance and regulation of market infrastructures such as clearing houses;
- The role of government in housing markets.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Essential Functions:
- Conduct independent empirical research and present at academic conferences and to regulators.
- Review relevant cutting-edge financial market research and summarize findings for TCH staff and member banks.
- Represent the conclusions and recommendations of TCH on significant bank regulatory matters at meetings with regulatory agencies, academic institutions and the media.
- Proactive identification and analysis of issues important to our member banks, with particular emphasis on the importance of large commercial banks, capital, liquidity, and regulations aimed at increasing financial stability but may adversely impact the broader economy.
- Plan and lead TCH meetings and conference calls, position papers, talking points and other documents and communications for regulators and coordinate post-comment letter advocacy efforts with regulators, academic institutions and the media.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a more effective advocacy presence and platform for TCH Finance, including outreach to additional regulators, and other trade associations.
- Assist in planning and coordinating TCH Research events.
- Ensure that TCH advocacy initiatives are reported correctly and completely for purposes of TCH weekly newsletter, Board materials, executive briefing decks, etc.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Financial market and/or regulatory experience and sound command of how the financial services industry functions.
- Strong academic credentials, excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational, decision-making and critical thinking skills and ability to multi-task.
- 4-5 years relevant private or public sector financial services industry experience.
- Master's degree required; Ph.D. preferred.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please Apply Immediately by emailing to: email@example.com, in a single submission, a letter of interest describing your experience and interest in the position, your resume, and names and contact information of references. Please use "Application for Vice President & Economist" as the subject of your email. Only complete applications will be reviewed. The Clearing House is an equal opportunity employer.