The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified Postdoctoral Fellow or Research Fellow for its program on agricultural science, technology, and innovation (ST&I) policy in its Environment and Production Technology (EPTD) Division. This is a two year, exempt, fixed-term, renewable appointment based in New Delhi, India.
Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Fellow/EPTD (Position #12-145)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: The division's agricultural ST&I policy program seeks to identify policies that favor economic development and the broad-based adoption of productivity-enhancing, poverty-reducing agricultural innovations, and to develop global, regional, and national capacity for ST&I policy analysis, design and implementation. Current research areas include, but are not limited to: agricultural research and development; private investment in pro-poor technology development and delivery; science, technology, and innovation policy; agricultural extension and advisory services; project monitoring and evaluation; and other topics relating to ST&I policy for developing-country agriculture.
Please note Postdoctoral Fellow appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting scholarly research relating to agricultural ST&I policy in South Asia. The research will be conducted in collaboration with the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (CSISA), a project launched in 2009 in partnership with other CGIAR centers and national institutions. See: http://sites.google.com/site/csisaportal. CSISA aims to decrease hunger and malnutrition and increase food security among resource-poor, small-scale farm families in South Asia through the accelerated development and inclusive deployment of new varieties, sustainable management technologies, and pro-poor public policies. The project intends to provide scientific, technical, and policy options to accelerate short- and long-term cereal production growth in South Asia's most important grain baskets.
The successful candidate will participate in a range of activities including, but not limited to:
- Conducting literature reviews, field survey work, in-depth data analysis, and policy analysis on farm-level
constraints to productivity growth and the impacts of adoption of resource-conserving technologies in the rice-wheat and related farming systems of South Asia
- Supporting efforts to strengthen the capacity of partner organizations and networks to conduct scholarly research and communicate evidence-based policy recommendations on ST&I policy for South Asia
- Supporting efforts to build an effective data management, monitoring, and evaluation system for the project
- Preparing project reports, research papers, presentations, and publishable journal articles in collaboration with the ST&I program team at IFPRI, CSISA project researchers, and other collaborators and partners
The successful candidate will also be responsible for: (a) identifying new research topics and designing new research activities for the ST&I program in South Asia; (b) raising stakeholder awareness and donor funds in support of the ST&I program's long-term research agenda in South Asia; and (c) strengthening IFPRI's participation in national and regional networks on ST&I policy.
The successful candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team of researchers, and is expected to engage in a broad range of research projects and activities in South Asia.
- Ph.D. degree in economics, agricultural economics, development economics, science and technology policy, development studies, or other appropriate disciplines
- Understanding of South Asian agriculture, including issues relating to smallholder farming systems, agribusiness, and technology adoption
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Proficiency in STATA or other statistical software
- Excellent verbal and written English, as well as strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
- Proficiency in one major South Asian language other than English
- Experience in surveys and field work is an advantage
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: External Candidates: Go to http://www.ifpri.org . Click on "Careers" and "Research Positions" to link you to Position #12-145 - Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Fellow, EPTD. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at: http://www.ifpri.org. EOE.