Queensland University of Technology Business School
The School of Economics and Finance at Gardens Point campus is looking for up to three (3) Postdoctoral fellows to assimilate into the Economics/Finance research group. Position is fixed-term, full-time for two years. Approximately 75% of the successful applicant's time will be spent on academically orientated Economics/Finance research, the remaining approximately 25% will be spent on teaching. Position closes: 1 July 2012.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Economics and Finance (Reference: 12225)
SALARY RANGE/CLASSIFICATION: $AUD78 542 to $AUD93 277 pa (LEVB) plus superannuation: 17% employer contribution.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Contact Professor Michael Kidd, Head School of Economics and Finance, +61 7 3138 1014. HR Contact: Carley Reber HR Advisor, +61 7 3138 4148.
When applying for this position we encourage you to upload your response to the selection criteria. Open to Australian and International applicants.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS SCHOOL: The QUT Business School offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs to over 8,500 students. The Business School is one of Australia's largest and most successful Business Faculties and has committed a significant investment in the development of world class business research capabilities. The Business School is keenly focused on supporting key research strengths across the Discipline Schools and associated research programs, centres and specializations to develop competitive and effective business solutions to important industry, government and community problems.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND FINANCE: The School of Economics and Finance is one of four discipline-based schools within QUT's Business School (Gardens Point Campus). The Business School is internationally accredited by the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and has been assessed for accreditation with the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The School of Economics and Finance teaches in the fields of economics, finance and quantitative methods offering programs of study at Bachelors, Honours, Masters (coursework and research) and PhD levels. There are currently 32 full-time academic staff members employed in the School. The School has a strong research profile.
For more background information and examples of our research, visit http://www.qut.edu.au/business/about/schools/school-of-economics-and-finance & http://www.ncer.edu.au
The School of Economics and Finance is located at the Gardens Point campus in the central part of Brisbane, the capital of Queensland, Australia. Brisbane is a growing city of 1.5 million with easy access to the beaches at Gold and Sunshine Coasts as well as the rainforest parks in the hinterland.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be part of a collaborative research environment across the School of Economics and Finance, QUT Business School and other faculties within QUT. The appointee will have access to senior academic mentors, individualised career development advice and a range of PhD students in the School and the National Centre for Econometric Research.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will report to the Head of School of Economics and Finance. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be required to collaborate with other researchers and liaise with research, administrative and academic staff of the University and external organisations.
Under the direction of the project leader and, and in consultation with the wider project team where relevant, the appointee will work independently on the following:
- Plan and carry out research within the broadly defined disciplines of economics and or finance.
- Collaborate with researchers across the School's research projects.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports and undertake associated administrative functions.
- Contribute to the preparation of research proposal submissions to external funding bodies.
- Prepare and publish research outcomes in relevant refereed Australian and international journals and present research outcomes at seminars and conferences.
- Contribute to the research culture of the School and assist in the supervision of research students and support staff within research projects.
- Undertake contributions to the teaching program within their field of research. This will also involve three hours per week of face to face teaching over two semesters each year.
- Maintain research confidentiality and conform to all requirements for the protection of intellectual property.
1. At least a PhD in economics/finance with demonstrated academic research potential. We are preferably looking for individuals who have completed their PhD within the last 3 years.
2. The ability to collaborate and work in a multi-cultural environment and being a part of a team.
3. Demonstrated high level verbal and written English language skills.
4. Demonstrated experience presenting research findings in seminars and conferences.
5. Sound knowledge of health and safety, equal opportunity and equity principles with a demonstrated ability to implement such principles at an operational level.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: As part of the selection process, shortlisted applicants will be required to provide to the panel on the day of interview a short, non-technical presentation of about 15 minutes duration relating to their current research interests. Applicants must provide documentary evidence that the PhD has been awarded or be in the final submission stage, prior to commencement of the fellowship. See:
Applicants are required to notify the University of any immigration restrictions that may preclude them from fulfilling the terms of any contract of employment offered at QUT.