The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to work as Research Fellow for its research program on "Governance for Agriculture and Rural Development". The goal of the program, which is housed in IFPRI's Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD), is to conduct cutting-edge research on the governance challenges of agricultural and rural development.
Research Fellow - Governance for Agriculture and Rural Development (Position #12-117)
Examples of research topics include the political economy of food, agricultural and natural resource management policies; implications of rural-urban migration for political transformation, the impact of decentralization on rural service (agricultural extension, rural water supply, etc.) delivery; institutional structures and regulations affecting agricultural development; land governance and administration; and research-policy linkages.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The successful candidate is expected to work on governance challenges that affect agricultural and rural development in developing countries, provide leadership to IFPRI's multi-disciplinary governance team, collaborate closely with research organizations in partner countries, and engage in policy dialogue.
This is a two-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment based at IFPRI's headquarters in Washington, DC and will report to the Division Director of DSGD.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: The position includes the following responsibilities:
- Policy-Oriented Research: The Fellow is expected to use cutting-edge research methods to analyze political and administrative challenges that affect agricultural and rural development in developing countries and to assess governance reform strategies that aim to address these challenges. The research will cover policy processes as well as policy implementation. The Fellow will collaborate closely with other researchers at IFPRI and with members of research organizations in host countries.
- Policy Communication and Capacity-Building: The Fellow will participate in the development and implementation of capacity building activities in partner countries, and engage in a dialogue with stakeholders and policy-makers.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in Political Science, Development Economics, Political Economy, Agricultural Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Sociology or closely related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in conducting empirical research on governance issues in developing countries in one or more of the following areas: political economy of development policies; policy processes, public sector governance and public sector reforms; decentralization and local governance.
- Ability to cultivate donor interests and raise funding on research.
- Strong team-building skills.
- Ability to work across disciplines.
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in using software for qualitative data analysis Knowledge about problems of agriculture and rural development in Africa.
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position 12-117- Research Fellow, DSG. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at: http://www.ifpri.org. EOE.