University of Bonn, Center for Development Research
The Department of Economic and Technological Change (ZEF b) of the Center for Development Research, University of Bonn (Prof. Joachim von Braun) invites applications for the position: Postdoctoral Researcher - Science, Innovations and Institutions.
Postdoctoral Researcher - Science, Innovations and Institutions
JOB DESCRIPTION: The postdoctoral researcher will first work in collaboration with renowned international researchers from the European Commission-funded project "Exploring the Future of Global Food and Nutrition Security (FNS)", of which ZEF is a key partner. In the project, the food system is analyzed in relationship with the ecosystem, energy, and financial markets and in light of fundamental societal trends, including an evolving science and technology landscape. In a second stage, the researcher will also interact with the ZEF interdisciplinary research team on science policy. The aim of the team is to provide answers to the following questions: Which science policy enhances sustainable development and economic growth in emerging economies at different stages of development and how can science investors enhance their impact? The researcher will be responsible for the delivery of research outputs linked with but not limited to:
- Assessing R&D products and institutions of relevance for food and nutrition security (FNS)
- Developing a database and typology of innovation products and institutions related to FNS
- Assessing science and technology policies for R&D priority setting in developing countries (DCs), with focus on FNS and economic growth impacts
- Developing a tool box for guiding FNS public science policy in Europe and in DCs
- Facilitating related workshops and seminars
- Drafting new research proposals
- PhD in Economics, Institutional Economics, or related
- Practical and theoretical background on the economics of science and innovations an advantage
- Very good analytical skills for conceptual and quantitative analysis
- Excellence in oral and written English language
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team spirit
- Knowledge in statistical packages such as STATA would be of an advantage
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: This appointment is a one year position, envisaged starting date June/July 2012, with possibility to renew. Application deadline is April 30, 2011. The researcher will be based at ZEF.
To apply, please send your letter of interest, CV, references and links to recent publications by email (write "FoodSecure application - SciPol" in the subject line) to:
Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn
Dept. of Economics and Technological Change
53113 Bonn, Germany
The Center for Development Research ( http://www.zef.de) is an international and interdisciplinary research institute of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University of Bonn, Germany. ZEF is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.