The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified Post-Doctoral Fellow/Research Fellow for a program in the general theme of agricultural science, technology, and innovation (ST&I) policy with strong ties to learning and capacity strengthening. This is a two year, fixed-term, renewable appointment which is based in New Delhi, India. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
Position # 12-118-Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Fellow/ESARO
The ST&I program seeks to identify policies that support the creation, adaptation, dissemination and sharing, of knowledge and the broad-based adoption of productivity-enhancing, poverty-reducing agricultural technologies and practices, and to develop capacity for ST&I program design, implementation, policy analysis, monitoring and evaluation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The successful candidate will be expected to participate in on-going research and capacity strengthening activities, identify new research topics, design and conduct research, undertake capacity strengthening and advocacy for promoting science, technology, innovation, and extension policy in food and agriculture in India and other developing countries. Current research areas include, but are not limited to: program evaluation related to ST&I benchmarking, technology adoption; input markets; knowledge management; agricultural extension and advisory services; use of ICT in knowledge management and extension and advisory services; and other topics relating to ST&I policy and strategies for developing-country food and agriculture. The successful candidate will also be responsible for:
a) Conducting research and data-based policy analysis including program evaluation of extension and advisory services, technology adoption, input markets, and seed systems;
b) Conducting action research and other innovative and scholarly research on topics related to knowledge management (KM), extension and advisory services, ICTs, KM portal development, and effective pathways and platforms for disseminating knowledge and portal content to farmers and knowledge intermediaries;
c) Conducting capacity strengthening activities in policy research and analysis, knowledge management, and contributing to the program's other learning and capacity strengthening activities;
d) Raising stakeholder awareness and pursuing donor funds in support of the program's long-term research agenda;
e) Participating in other research, capacity strengthening, and communications activities related to the priorities of IFPRI's program in India, and other developing countries.
He/she will work with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team of researchers, and is expected to engage in a broad range of research projects and activities.
- PhD degree in economics, agricultural economics, development economics, agricultural extension or education, sociology; development studies, or other appropriate disciplines.
- Good knowledge about the agricultural and agribusiness sectors of India, and general rural development policies and strategies of India;
- For research fellow, a minimum of three years' experience in conducting research related to science, technology, and innovation policy systems, or agriculture and rural development policy in or for developing countries;
- For research fellow, recognized expertise, and refereed publications in research areas related to the position;
- Excellent analytical skills for qualitative and quantitative research;
- Proficiency in statistical analysis software such as STATA, SPSS, and other software used for various types of analysis;
- Excellence in oral and written English language;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team spirit;
- Ability to work well in a multicultural environment and with individuals and organizations from the public, private, and civil society sectors;
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to travel extensively.
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: External Candidates: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position # 12-118 - Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Fellow, ESARO. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at: http://www.ifpri.org