The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow in the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The responsibilities of the incumbent include conducting policy research, capacity strengthening, and communication and advocacy activities in the eastern and southern Africa region, and other regions of the world. This appointment is a two year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The final grade will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
Research/Senior Research Fellow - Position (#11-110)
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office conducts scholarly research, capacity strengthening, and communication and advocacy activities with collaborators in IFPRI, regional organizations and national programs to improve food and nutrition security, reduce poverty, and improve the livelihood of the people of eastern and southern Africa, and to support IFPRI's wider mission of providing sustainable solutions for ending hunger and reducing poverty.
ESARO's programs focus on issues affecting smallholder productivity and natural resources, access to input and output markets, and protection of the vulnerable and disadvantaged.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Identify new research topics, design and conduct action research for promoting good food and agricultural policies in the eastern and southern Africa region in the framework of the Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development Program (CAADP). Research topics may include but not confined to areas such as knowledge management, extension and advisory services, agricultural education, access to inputs and remunerative output markets, provision of rural services, health and nutrition, social protection, and risk management;
- Conduct monitoring and impact assessment of agricultural development programs in the region;
- Conduct capacity strengthening activities in policy research and analysis;
- Publish research in scholarly and other outlets;
- Raise stakeholder awareness and pursue donor funds in support of long-term research agenda of the regional office;
- Participate in research, capacity strengthening and communication activities of other IFPRI researchers related to the priorities of IFPRI in the eastern and southern Africa region;
- Facilitate the creation, deepening, and sharing of knowledge as a network capital through the formation of partnerships and alliances with the several regional organizations, especially the African Union Commission, UNECA, East African Community, COMESA, ASARECA, SADC, and NEPAD;
- PhD in Agricultural or Development Economics, Economics, or a closely-related field.
- At least five years of post-doctoral experience both in research on strategic policy issues as well as the design and implementation of programs to support agricultural growth and development in African countries.
- Demonstrated track record in the provision of technical assistance and engagement in strategic dialogue with country level or regional policy-makers and other stakeholders to support and advance the implementation of national and regional growth and development strategies
- Track record of publications in peer reviewed sources
- Knowledge and experience working in Africa
- Ability to interact and communicate with diverse audiences.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally as necessary
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent computer skills
- Quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Significant skills in programming in STATA and in managing datasets
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position # 11- 110- Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow, ESARO. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at: http://www.ifpri.org