University of Copenhagen, Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences
The Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Copenhagen, invites applications for one or more positions as Associate Professor in Development Economics. The Department of Economics has a strong international research profile and a vibrant and dynamic research and teaching environment. The new Associate Professor(s) is/are expected to contribute actively to this. To focus research efforts and to contribute to the Department's aim of being at the research frontier in selected fields, a set of research centers have been developed as an integral part of the Department. Research in Development Economics is conducted within the Development Economics Research Group (DERG). The position(s) is/are available from September 1, 2012 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Associate Professorship(s) in Development Economics
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: To be qualified for the position the applicant should have:
- Research and teaching qualifications at the level that can be achieved by satisfactorily completing a period of employment at the level of assistant professor or equivalent
- Strong teaching qualification
Research and teaching within the field of Development Economics are required to become qualified for the position. A successful candidate will have a strong research record in Development Economics and be capable of, and willing to make substantial contributions to the academic environment and work at the Department and to provide first-class teaching.
JOB DESCRIPTION: General duties attached to the position as Associate Professor are:
- Research within the field of Development Economics
- Teaching, supervision and examination of undergraduate, post-graduate and Ph.D students
- Administrative tasks related to the position as associate professor
- Knowledge sharing with the rest of the society
- Research and teaching management
The Associate Professor will spend part of her or his time doing research relevant for the Development Economics Research Group.
For additional information about the position as Associate Professor, see: "Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2007", which is found at: http://www.ubst.dk/lovgivning/ny_stillingsstruktur_eng.pdf(3.1 Associate Professor).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Terms of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The annual salary as Associate Professor is within the range DDK 420,000 - 430,000 (EUR 56,000 - 58,000 app.). In addition to the salary paid directly to you, the University will also pay a monthly contribution to your pension fund corresponding to 17.1 percent of your salary. Negotiation for additional supplements will be possible. A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, see http://www.ism.ku.dk/taxes
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications must be in English and must include the following information and documentation:
- A full CV, including name, address, telephone number, e-mail, previous and present employment and academic background including a record of research and international research cooperation
- A complete and numbered list of publications. The publications enclosed in the application - maximum 6 - that the applicant would like the assessment committee to consider should be marked with an asterisk (*)
- Documentation of experience with managing research and/or teaching
- Teaching portfolio in accordance with the Faculty's rules: socialsciences.ku.dk/faculty/publications/teaching_portfolio
- Documentation of the ability to disseminate information to and share knowledge with society at large
If publications marked by an asterisk (*) are the result of joint work, the extent and the nature of the applicant's contribution to each individual publication must be clarified in the application, and if possible, a declaration from the co-authors or the head of the institution or office at which the work was completed should be enclosed as well.
ASSESSMENT OF APPLICANTS: After the deadline of the application period, an assessment committee will be formed. Applicants will be informed of the composition of the committee. The assessment of applicants will primarily consider the level of research. Teaching, managerial and outreach qualifications of applicants will also be considered. When the committee's evaluation is available, each applicant will receive the part of the assessment that relates to him-/herself. As part of the appointment process interviews may be held.
The University welcomes applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Situated in the heart of Copenhagen the Department of Economics is a highly research-orientated department within Denmark's premier University. The Department is one of the leading economics Departments in continental Europe and offers courses at Bachelors, Master's and PhD levels.
Additional information can be obtained from Head of Department, Christian Schultz, phone +45 35 32 30 39, e-mail: email@example.com
Information about the Department can be found at http://www.econ.ku.dk
The deadline for applications including enclosures is April 16, 2012.
Apply online at:
Please note that it is only possible to upload one document per attachment category. If more than one document has to be uploaded in the same category, please make sure that the documents are scanned and collected in one file.
Applications received after deadline will not be taken into account.
Please note: Applications sent by regular mail will not be accepted.