The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) or Research Fellow (RF) for a two (2) year, fixed term, renewable, exempt appointment for its office in New Delhi. This position is based at IFPRI -New Delhi located in India but would involve travel to any of the countries in which IFPRI carries out its research. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
Postdoctoral/Research Fellow - Food & Nutritional Security in South and Central Asia (10-154)
Please note that Postdoctoral Fellow appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The PDF/RF will make assessment of food, policy and its implications on poverty and nutritional security in South Asia. South Asia is the home of the largest number of poor and hungry people in the world. Research needs to be focused on the linkages between performance in agriculture and its impact on poverty. The initial focal countries would be India, Nepal and Bangladesh but will expand to other countries of south Asia. The researcher needs to develop a comprehensive conceptual framework, bring clarity in the methods to empirically map the linkages between agriculture, poverty and nutrition.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop a program and conduct research and analysis on issues related to food and nutritional security in south Asia
- Empirically test the linkages between agricultural performance and rural poverty
- Establish linkages with other colleagues and stakeholders in the region doing similar work
- Maintain high level of research output for publication outlets both within IFPRI, and for peer-reviewed journals within the wider scientific community, on topics of close relevance to the work of the New Delhi office
- Communicate research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policy makers, local partners)
- Assist in development and monitoring of a project budget
- Assist in reporting on program/project activities
- May assist in supervising or coordinating the work of Research support staff
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics/Economics with specialization in food security issues or related field
- Strong capabilities in quantitative analysis
- Ability to use economic theory in innovative and policy relevant ways
- Strong academic publications record
- Experience in guiding surveys to collect and analyze primary data
- Ability to travel extensively
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English
- Ability to raise funds for research
- Work experience in Asia, especially South Asia
- Language skills relevant for work in the region
- Previous experience carrying out research on food policy analysis
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research Positions" to link you to Position 10-154- PDF/RF. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
FURTHER INFORMATION: For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at: http://www.ifpri.org. EOE.