The International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) for a two (2) year, fixed term, renewable appointment for its Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSDG). Working within a multidisciplinary research team the PDF will contribute to the Strengthening Evidence-Based Agricultural Policy (SEBAP) project in Malawi by conducting research and capacity building activities.
Position #12-102-Postdoctoral Fellow/Dsg - Malawi
JOB DESCRIPTION: The PDF will be expected to perform various tasks, ranging from analysis of household survey data to sector performance evaluation. The PDF will also play a leading role in supporting capacity building in the field of monitoring and evaluation and agricultural statistics. This position is based at IFPRI's Malawi Strategy Support Program (MaSSP) located in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Conducting microeconomic research through analysis of primary or secondary household survey data and agricultural sector statistics using advanced econometric techniques
- Regularly communicating research outputs via policy seminars, policy briefs, and peer-reviewed publications to a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including researchers, academics, policymakers, and government officials
- Maintaining a high level of research output for publication outlets both within IFPRI, and for peer-reviewed journals within the wider scientific community, on topics of close relevance to the work of DSGD and MaSSP
- Coordinating and providing technical support and capacity strengthening to monitoring structures in the agricultural and agricultural statistics sector in Malawi
- Developing and nurturing linkages between Malawian agricultural monitoring and statistics structures and initiatives in the Southern African region (e.g. through ReSAKSS)
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economics, or closely related field
- Sound understanding of information systems in the southern African region
- Demonstrated research and modeling experience at both the micro- and macro-levels, as well as the micro-macro linkages
- Demonstrated ability to perform critical analyses of own as well as existing research
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to acquire new computational skills and adapt to novel research techniques
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and teamwork in a multicultural work environment and effective interactions with other researchers and collaborators
- Demonstrated capacity to produce good quality publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations
- Proficiency in the use of statistical software such as Stata or SPSS applied to both time-series and cross-sectional data
- Experience working with Government institutions in the southern African region
- Experience in implementing and analyzing rural household surveys in the southern Africa region
- Sound understanding of regional and national agricultural development strategies (for example CAADP)
- Familiarity with the international agricultural development agenda
- Proficiency in the national language (Chechewa) of Malawi
ABOUT IFPRI: IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: External Candidates: Go to http://www.ifpri.org. Click on "Careers" and "Research" to link you to Position #12-102- Postdoctoral Fellow, DSG. Please complete on-line application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at http://www.ifpri.org