Call for Papers
10-11 January 2013, Hong Kong
The Role of Financial System Reforms in Rebalancing the Chinese Economy
The Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research (HKIMR) will hold its fourth Annual International Conference on the Chinese Economy in Hong Kong on 10-11 January 2013.
The conference is intended to provide a forum for academics, policymakers and business economists to discuss important analytical and policy issues related to the Chinese economy. Past conferences in this series attracted high-quality paper presentations and rigorous discussions, and were attended by researchers and China watchers from central banks and other institutions across the globe.
TOPICS: The theme of the forthcoming conference is "The role of financial system reforms in rebalancing the Chinese economy." Possible topics include (but not restricted to):
- Medium-term prospects of China's external imbalances
- Underlying factors and distortions that contribute to imbalances
- Structure of factor and product markets and entry barriers
- Monetary, exchange rate, and fiscal policies
- Regulatory and supervisory structures and policies
- Efficiency and stability of the banking system and capital markets
- Interest rate liberalisation
- Capital account liberalisation and internationalisaton of the renminbi
- Key issues in the housing market and housing finance
- Access to financing by small and medium-sized enterprises
- Informal finance and "shadow banking"
- Financial development and social inequality
Papers that do not fit into these categories, but that are related to the main theme of the conference, are also welcome.
PAPER SUBMISSION PROCEDURE: Interested contributors should submit a draft paper (in a Word or PDF file) to the HKIMR by 3 October 2012 (e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use the contact author's name as the name of the file. The HKIMR will select the papers based on originality, analytical rigor, and policy relevance and will contact the authors whose papers have been selected by 9 November 2012.
Presenters will be reimbursed for reasonable travel expenses and accommodation. For further information, please email: email@example.com or visit the HKIMR website: http://www.hkimr.org