University of Mannheim, Graduate School of Economic & Social Sciences
Sponsored by the German Excellence Initiative
Ph.D. in Business, Economics, or Social Sciences
SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION: The Graduate School of Economic & Social Sciences (GESS) is the first of its kind in Germany and is among very few in the world to integrate the disciplines of business, economics, and the social sciences into a coherent curriculum. It is one of only two graduate schools in the economic and social sciences to be funded by the "Excellence Initiative" of the German federal government in October 2006.
- Center for Doctoral Studies in Business (CDSB)
Accounting & Taxation
Operations & Information Systems
- Center for Doctoral Studies in Economics (CDSE)
- Center for Doctoral Studies in Social and Behavioral Sciences (CDSS)
PH.D. PROGRAMS DESCRIPTIONS: At the beginning of each program, the students attend an intensive sequence of core and elective courses. These courses endow them with the necessary knowledge to engage in independent research. After the course phase, the students enter their thesis-writing phase. During this period they also have the opportunity to acquire teaching expertise in their chosen field. The entire program is taught exclusively in English. All admitted students receive funding unless financed from other sources.
The faculty of the GESS is internationally renowned and operates in a network of top European universities. Former GESS students have been hired by prestigious schools such as Tilburg University, London School of Economics, and the University of Toulouse, IIES at University of Stockholm, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, ECARES at Free University of Brussels.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE/FURTHER INFORMATION:
- For details on the doctoral program, the online application process, the program requirements, and scholarships please visit the homepage: http://gess.uni-mannheim.de
- Application deadline: April 15, 2012
- Only online applications can be submitted.