Call for Papers
8 - 9 November 2012, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, De Nederlandsche Bank
DNB/CGIC Workshop on Corporate Governance of Financial Institutions
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: Since the financial and economic crisis a great deal of scrutiny by investors, the media, governments and regulatory institutions has focused on corporate governance failures within financial institutions. In academia, research has particularly focused on the relationship between on the one hand, lax board oversight of risk management and executive compensation and, on the other hand, excessive risk-taking and bad corporate performance. While the primary focus has been on governance deficiencies at banks, the financial and economic crisis has also emphasized the importance of good corporate governance for other types of financial institutions such as insurance companies and pension funds.
TOPICS: The purpose of this workshop is to contribute to the emerging trends in academic research and to take stock of the most important developments in the theory, policy and practice of the corporate governance of financial institutions. The workshop aims at attracting original and relevant contributions on this theme. Theoretical as well as empirical contributions aimed at delivering policy-relevant results with respect to, for instance, the following topics are actively solicited:
- Executive compensation within financial institutions;
- Boards of directors and risk oversight;
- Expertise and composition of boards of directors within financial institutions;
- Internal corporate governance and the role external supervisors;
- Hard and soft law and the corporate governance of financial institutions;
- The role of corporate governance in systemic crises;
- Ownership of financial institutions;
- Regulation, risk-taking and corporate governance;
- Pension fund governance;
- A behavioral perspective on corporate governance within financial institutions.
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS: Rene Stulz (Ohio State University) and Luc Laeven (International Monetary Fund and Tilburg University).
ORGANIZERS: The organizers of the workshop are Jakob de Haan (De Nederlandsche Bank and University of Groningen; firstname.lastname@example.org), Hans van Ees (University of Groningen; email@example.com), Niels Hermes (University of Groningen; firstname.lastname@example.org), and Reggy Hooghiemstra (University of Groningen; email@example.com ).
- Full papers have to be submitted before 31 July 2012 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Participants will be informed by 15 September 2012